Pages

Share butons

Friday, January 11, 2013

Easy No-Grate Homemade Laundry Soap

Easy No-Grate Laundry Detergent

Our house has a lot of eczema, soap and scent allergies, which means it was doubly important for me to find a way to make our own laundry soap. We needed something allergy friendly and I wanted something that didn't bust the budget, but some of the grated, cooked and stored in a 5 gallon bucket detergents seemed a little overwhelming and time consuming for this busy mom (who just wants to quickly get her laundry done).  Then I came across the idea of no-grate laundry soap here http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/2012/02/no-grate-homemade-laundry-soap.html   with some reworking I came up with something I am happy with. It cleans great as long as I pre-treat stains (which I had to do with regular detergent too, as my "little Loviehas a way of majorly staining all her clothes)

Here is what you need:
  • 4T Borax
  • 4T Washing Soda
  • 3T Dawn (or other grease fighting) dish soap
  • 3T Oxi Clean (optional)
  • 4C Boiling water
   Mix all ingredients together in glass bowl (the measure cup works fine) until powder ingredients dissolve. I use a whisk to do this, but don't whip to hard or you will have a bunch of bubbles. Once it has cooled a bit, you can pour it into an old detergent container (or whatever container you have handy). It is as easy as that.
I use an 1/8 to 1/4 cup per load depending on the load size. If I am doing a white/light load and I want to brighten it up I fill up the bleach container(not really sure what you call it) with peroxide.
 This works great in front loader (this is what I have) and HE washers. 
Let me know how this works for you, or if you find a way to make it better. I am always looking for new ideas. =) 

No comments:

Post a Comment