Hand Softening, Healing, Natural Lotion
Lotion, it should be light, moisterizing and help heal chapped hands, but most importantly it should be chemical free. At first I was intimidated by the idea of making lotion from scratch, it wasn't just melt stir and pour, it was emulsifying oil and water together to make something new. I decided to give a try and it was fun watching it change, it was also easier than I imagined. Try it and see for yourself.
- 3/4cup Aloe Gel
- 1tsp Vitamin E oil
- 3/4oz Beeswax (grated or broken into small pieces)
- 2Tbl Comfrey
- 1/4 cup Almond oil
- 1/4 cup Coconut oil
- 1Tbl Cocoa Butter
- 15-20 drops Essential Oil of your choice
- In double boiler on low melt coconut and almond oil with comfrey, let it infuse for 45min to an hour.
- Strain through cheesecloth, throw away herbs and wipe leftover herbs out of pot.
- Pour oil back in pot, add beeswax and Cocoa butter and melt.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine aloe vera gel, vitamin E oil, and essential oils.
- Pour the melted oils into a bowl and allow them to cool to room temperature. This is a vital step in order to prevent separation. You can also heat up the aloe mixture slightly in the microwave to bring the 2 mixtures to the same temp.
- Once cooled, blend on low speed with hand mixer, slowly and continuously pour in aloe vera mixture. Run a rubber spatula aganist the sides of the bowl to incorporate all ingredients. Blend until the mixture has the look and feel of lotion. (Note: this step could also be done with a blender on low speed)
- Pour the lotion into sterilized jars. You can use sterilized canning jars if you have them on hand. I keep a jar on the bathroom counter and one in the refrigerator. The lotion will keep for up to 6 weeks in the refrigerator.
has been recommended to me as a source for high quality herbs